10.15.2007

The sad truth

My man Reeves:

"I have written 180 columns against this war in the last four years or so, and I thought I should re-read them now that I'm back in this shining city on a hill. I couldn't. It is both too boring and too depressing, to say nothing of being so ineffectual. The only justification for such an exercise is that it ends any illusions one might have about what we knew and when we knew it. We are what we are: great talkers about human rights and the dignity of man and woman, but capable of believing any lies and going along with any injustice that does not disturb the collection of our daily bread."
This is where my religious training is very helpful; it teaches me not to believe in American exceptionalism. The great powers come and go, and they are usually pretty disgraceful as they go.

No comments: