2.17.2007

From the political blogs

• Pie in the sky department: a post on TPMCafe for various worthy goals includes this:

"2. The invention of a secure, five 9's reliable, one person = one vote, and recountable voting system that could be conducted on-line so that polling places can be an artifact of the past."
I'm against it! What's so bad about polling places? What's so bad about a social, meatspace expression of our common political identity? When Mrs. D. and I lived in Hoboken they used to have a bake sale at our polling place -- I think there should be more stuff like that. Bouncy houses for the children, live music, etc -- anything beyond that lame "I voted" sticker.

Atrios has been talking about Jesus:
"...as many people suggested, if you're a liberal the press will pick apart your religion because it's somehow 'weird.' We all know religious means anti-abortion and at the very least not too happy with gay people. If you're Howard Dean or Barack Obama or John Kerry then they'll do anything to suggest that somehow your religion is illegitimate or un-Christian.
I don't have much to add to the politics of it. But it occurs to me that this might be a byproduct of the big media types being irreligious -- churchgoing would seem weird, under the circumstances.

Now, I have no idea whether most media types are irreligious. (I would suspect so, because most (not all) people I know in Hollywood are irreligious, and it seems like political media types would be the same, except with worse clothes.) And, of course, more power to them. But they do miss out on some stuff -- some of the Michael Gerson-penned Bush rhetoric, for example, that even I get with my Catholic education and occasional continual churchgoing. It's like people who haven't taken Latin reading Samuel Johnson -- it's hard to understand his sentence structure without it.

• Finally, from this post by Brad DeLong on social democracy:
In a country in which much social insurance has historically been supplied by employers, the loss of jobs and the closure of businesses is particularly traumatic.
And see, this is why I'm in favor of some form of universal health insurance: it's pro-entrepreneur. It would allow the visionary types to quit their job without worrying about what happens if their kids get sick, and also free them from worrying about providing health care to their employees. I realize this is not a huge percentage of people, but it makes a good story, and us pro-health-care types should be flogging it whenever we can.

No comments: