2.09.2007

Cop Show

So the "awesome" substitute turns out to be "Cop show.":

I've been worried about "awesome." It's getting clapped out, and I don't want to be the last guy to use an outmoded piece of slang, like some loser wearing a leisure suit in 1982 and saying "groovy." (Of course, "groovy" is now OK.) Now, it's not easy to make a plausible bit of new slang. And whatever is going to take the place of "awesome" has some pretty big shoes to fill. But cop shows embody a certain all-American swaggering cool that anyone who has been the Beastie Boys video for "Sabotage" will immediately recognize. Cop show cops have savoir-faire, derring-do, and telegenic brutality. Yes, I'm contradicting my own anti-torture flexing in the previous paragraph, but consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, etc., and anyway, it's just a show.
There follows some clips, including the main title theme of "Taking of Pelham One Two Three," a movie I love.

"Cop show." It's all right, I guess. It's a little dorky (said the comedy writer to the musicologist). But then "awesome" is also a little dorky. However, I have fallen in love with the exaggeration, the overpromise, if you will, of "awesome," e.g.

Me: Can you tell me where the toothbrushes are?
Salesperson: Aisle 5.
Me: Awesome, thanks.

In these circumstances "cop show" won't cut it.

No comments: