2.04.2007

All sorts of interesting things

in the LA Times Current section this week (and it's amazing how handy a newspaper can still be, out on the backporch in the 70-degree weather with a pipe):

• The contrarian in me is drawn to Francis Fukuyama's buck-up piece -- that it is also true that things could get better. I'd have liked him to address climate change, though.

Joe Queenan's piece is newspaper-funny, not hilarious, but I enjoyed his including the Dallas Stars on a list of "franchises that deserted their roots yet ignobly refused to allow their grubby little fingers to be pried away from a name, a logo and a mythology to which they had no moral claim."

• I want to pull something out of this Gregory Rodriguez piece:

...the pessimism of the aging Anglo electorate is one of the biggest obstacles to preparing for the future. "Immigrants have shown a lot more potential than we thought," he said, "but voters haven't responded yet with a strong vote of confidence."

Generations are often at odds, but California's generational gap is confounded by the ethnic differences between old and young. Despite their diminishing percentage of the population, Anglos are projected to make up the majority of the electorate for nearly another quarter of a century.
I want to pull it out because it illustrates one of my favorite theses: one of the reasons we are in such conservative times is because there are more old people around than ever before. (Disclaimer: My evidence for this is just my mother-in-law.)

No comments: