9.18.2006

They go too far!

I was agnostic, if you will, about Benedict's remarks, except to note that you must get into undiplomatic when you're pushing around professors of theology for twenty years. But now I'm all on his side:

While some Muslims were mollified by his explanation for the speech made in Germany last Tuesday, others remained furious.

"We tell the worshipper of the cross (the Pope) that you and the West will be defeated, as is the case in Iraq, Afghanistan, Chechnya," said a Web statement by the Mujahideen Shura Council, an umbrella group led by Iraq's branch of al Qaeda.

"We shall break the cross and spill the wine," said the statement, posted on Sunday on an Internet site often used by al Qaeda and other militant groups.
Two reactions:
1. Break, if you must, my old, gray cross, but spare my two-buck Chuck, he said.
2. To me it sounds like a sitcom setup: "'Break the cross and spill the wine?' Whew! I thought you were going to kill me! (THEN) Oh."

No comments: