8.23.2006

Jokes only comedy writers like

I picked up my free Onion (my first one in LA, I think), and I see that they now have fake editorial cartoons. It's not online, sadly, and I'm not going to describe it, but it's basically a parody of over-earnest editorial cartooning -- not quite drawing the world with a bomb-fuse on top and captioning it, "The Current Situation?", but close.

I enjoyed it, and then I thought, that's only for comedy people. You can probably spend time in a lot of rooms making fun of lame editorial cartoons. But it's a fairly obscure thing to parody, and it's so hard to make intentionally lame humor land, that I can't believe this feature is very popular, even among the sophisticated readership of The Onion.

On the other hand, sometimes your private comedy obsessions turn out to be popular. I was thrilled in "Anchorman" when Will Farrell played jazz flute -- jazz flute being something that always struck me as being really weird, but when are you going to get an opportunity to even bring it up?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

jazz flute being something that always struck me as being really weird, but when are you going to get an opportunity to even bring it up?

Dude. B.K. on Air Mail by Air. Come back when you're done; we'll talk (and please, no Herbie Mann).