7.10.2006

Notes On Comedy (or, Everyone Is Stupid Except Me)

One of the things that I would like to do now that I’m blogging again is talk more about my business, TV comedy. I didn’t staff this year, so I ought to have plenty of time to stew about it. And why should my wife be the only one who has to hear my theories about it?

One thing I’ve been chewing on lately is YouTube. I think YouTube is a much bigger threat to TV comedy than drama. A network drama like “24” really uses all the resources a studio and network have at their command, and you can’t duplicate that experience on YouTube. But comedy? Why watch, I don't know, “Courting Alex," when you can see something actually funny on YouTube?

So -- until we understand that our jobs are to give people comedy they can't get elsewhere, there are going to be a lot fewer jobs overall.

1 comment:

llq said...

I get much in your theme really. thank your very much i will come every day! vintage wedding!?! cheap mobile phone.