12.26.2005

Check it

I really should read the paper more often. From the LA Times:

calendarlive.com: Hollywood should rewrite own script: "Los Angeles moviegoer Leonard Kolod recently spent $9.50 for a Beverly Center showing of New Line's 'A History of Violence,' only to be bombarded by nearly a dozen advertisements and previews preceding the film. Kolod complained to Loews Cineplex, but rather than placate its customer, Loews admonished Kolod in an e-mail that ads 'have been part of the cinema experience for many years' and are necessary to offset costs as 'screen actors are now receiving upwards [of] twenty million dollar salaries per movie and the films themselves are costing over one hundred million dollars to produce.' To which the Leonard Kolods of the world will say, 'Next time, I'll wait for the DVD.'"


Emphasis added. Of course the Beverly Center theaters, as I know firsthand, are atrocious. But still -- here the theaters are, entering a time of crisis. They feel the best way out of this crisis is to shit up the experience of going to a theater. Then it's somebody else's fault that they shit up your experience.

I draw a parallel of sorts to my own medium of network TV, where, in the limited time I have been in this business, the shows have gotten about a minute shorter. In other words, the networks are so worried about you watching cable that they're giving you less of what you watch network television for. Genius! (I wouldn't mind so much if all that extra time weren't going for promos.)

1 comment:

The Sanity Inspector said...

I liked something I read recently, that indie films were all truth and no spectacle, while Hollywood blockbusters were all spectacle and no truth.